Monday, September 29, 2008

Frida Kahlo


As an art history major, I am consistently inundated with different artists and their work.
But Frida Kahlo has always remained a favorite with me. 
Not just of her work, but of her as a person and everything she embodied
Through all of her physical and emotional strife, she remained a strong, brave and beautiful woman - and also knew how to rock the unibrow.
In my opinion, her work is far superior than that of her husband, Diego Rivera, and it is a shame how she was overshadowed by him for so long while she was alive.
Powerful, painful and hopeful - I'm glad her work is finally getting the credit it deserves.

Here are a few of my favorite pieces that I have been fortunate enough to see in person. 
If you missed the show that traveled to San Fran, Philly and Minneapolis...
well, you really really missed out.
"The Two Fridas" 1939

The scale of this is absolutely incredible and I cannot even begin to explain it.

"Self-Portrait with Chopped Hair" 1940

The inscription reads: "Look, if I loved you it was because of your hair. Now that you are without hair, I don't love you anymore."
They are lyrics from a Mexican folk song - I absolutely love it.

"The Dream" 1940

I have been trying to find a print of this for my room. I had never seen it up until attending the show in Philly. And though I love all her work, I may go as far in saying this is my favorite thing she's done.

No comments: