Monday, September 8, 2008

Modern Wing

Yesterday, I hit up the Modern wing of the Met for my Advanced Seminar in Modern Art class that I'm taking.
I have never really gone through the Modern wing and I'm really glad I did. 
I finally got to see some things I've been meaning to see.
Like this...
Jeff Koons "On the Roof" show

This picture doesn't really do the colors of the pieces justice.
His work is just so fun and playful to see.
And if I had a rooftop apt, I totally would want a "Balloon Dog" to go on it.

Damien Hirst "The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living"

I am obsessed with sharks.
So obsessed that I basically live for Shark Week on the Discovery Channel and I have told my parents to not be surprised if I call them one day, at 45 years old, and tell them, "Family, I am quitting my job and leaving for the Caribbean to study sharks in their natural state."
So naturally, the Hirst shark has been something on my list of things to see.
And MAN, shit is WILD! 
My mouth literally dropped when I walked into the room where it was installed. 
It is SO cool, yet SO creepy that I felt as excited as a 5 year old on Christmas day mixed with the hee-bee-gee-bees.
I really didn't know what to do with myself.
I finally looked more into his work last night and it is just...out there.
So eerie. And I'm fascinated by it.

Tara Donovan's Untitled (Mylar) Installation

I really enjoyed this.
Donovan is known for using ordinary products to make something, well, extraordinary.
Here, she used silver Mylar tape that she made into connecting ringlets.
It reminds me of a pattern you see on crisp, clean, white, modern linens.

Yeah yeah, I know this isn't ultra Modern, but its Manet - who's work is said to mark the beginning of the Modern period. 
This hangs in the 19th Century galleries of the Met.
Its called, "Mademoiselle V...in the costume of an espada"
It dawned on me yesterday how much I enjoy Manet and large scale 19th cen. paintings.
Especially portraiture.

The day I can have a house full of these...
boy, that will be the day.

No comments: