Saturday, August 9, 2008

Behold! Tan in a Bottle

When I was in either 5th or 6th grade,
my mother slapped on latex gloves one night and slathered me with self tanner in our hall bathroom.
I remember it was right before going on an end-of-the-year class trip to either the pool or the beach and I was embarrassed of being so pale. 
So leave it to me and my mother to race to Macy's on a school night, right before they closed,
to buy some Estee Lauder self tanner.
Mind you, this was when self tanners were a new embark on the beauty frontier.
And though I commend my mother in her efforts,
me and my 12 year-0ld self vowed to never do it again
in response to the horrid stench and risk of orange streaks.
Unless, however, it was for emergency reasons...

...Like the summer when I was in a Quinceanera 
and my tan lines were so distinct that I looked like I was wearing a white halter top under my canary yellow dress. 
Or those four out of God knows how many high school dances I attended when I felt the need to dabble in air brush tanning, instead of burning myself in a tanning bed like everyone else.
(And I somehow ended up starting a trend.)

But this summer, I decided to give my old friend another shot.
I figured,
"Hey, a lot has happened in the ways of self tanning since I was 12."
So with an acquaintance's recommendation,
I found and fell in love with this baby...


found at good ol' Bath & Body Works. 
I've tried both the Shade to Order and Strike Gold tanners, 
but would recommend the latter if you are looking for more bang for your buck. 
And knowing Bath & Body Works, they always have some kind of deal going on.
So if you're feeling a little pasty today and you don't have the time to lay out (in the true Californian way,)
go ahead and check it out for yourself.
I promise it won't disappoint. 

No comments: